EASY AND HEALTHY RECIPES, TIPS FOR HEALTHY LIVING, FOOD REVIEWS, ETC

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Easy Thai Red Curry





For this
Weekend Herb Blogging WHB#180 - April 20th to April 26th hosted by The Crispy Cook, I'm submitting one of my favorite curry recipes. I learned it from two Thai doctoral students (An and Arnuson) when I visited Hokkaido, Japan a couple of years ago. They made green curry (Taste of Thai brand) and served it with flat noodles. When in a pinch, they said it's fine to use red curry paste and serve it on steamed rice instead. Chaowana, another Thai friend receives a regular supply of curry paste and Tom Yum Soup mix (both Lobo Brand) from her mom in Thailand. The curry paste already contains lemon grass, red chillis, garlic, galangal ginger and kaffir lime). Super easy and it works!

Here's the recipe:
1 Tbsp red curry paste

1 tsp canola oil
1 can coconut milk

1/2 cup sliced yellow squash

1/2 cup sliced eggplant

1/4 cup red bell pepper, sliced thin

1 chicken breast, sliced thin across the grain

1 bunch Thai basil leaves
(optional-can sub with green onions)

In a small pot, heat canola oil and stir fry red curry paste for 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and let the mixture simmer. Add yellow squash, eggplant and bell pepper. When the eggplant has cooked, increase heat so that the mixture boils. Add chicken slices and basil leaves. Let the chicken cook through, remove curry from heat and adjust seasoning (with fish paste/ salt) according to your taste before serving. Yum!

**

5 comments:

Alisa said...

mmm, I love thai curry, this sounds so wonderfully simple too! I only wish I could find Thai basil here.

Rachel said...

Thanks for sending this great recipe over to Weekend Herb Blogging #180. I'll try to get the roundup posted later today.

Heather said...

mmmmmm. love curry. looks delicious!

Dee said...

This is my husband's favorite curry. I'm a green curry girl myself, but I wouldn't pass up a good red curry either!

Momgateway said...

Alisa and Heather:
Thai basil has a wonderful flavor. I have some seeds ready to harvest soon. If you think you'd like to grow your own, just email me your address.