EASY AND HEALTHY RECIPES, TIPS FOR HEALTHY LIVING, FOOD REVIEWS, ETC

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Camp out and Blogging Discouragement and Encouragement




I took a two-week break from my blog, in part due to Memorial Day camp out
tiredness and letdown. We could only stay one night because of a going-away party the next day but some of the people we were eager to meet up with could not make it until the next day---meaning no singing and guitar playing for hubby and none of Mr. W.'s famous chili. Last time we were at Wichita Mountain Wildlife Reserve, I helped Mr. W. make the chili during a huge downpour. We were drenched to the bone and the chili turned out a little too soupy but still good. I've been dreaming of that venison chili!

Another downer was we got to the campsite much later in the day. By that time most of the campers had eaten. I hurried to grill some Vinaigrette Marinated Chicken and a five-minute stir-fried noodle dish on the camp stove and forgot to take pictures of the food before it was all gone. I was going to grill some steaks but too but everyone was already full. The only food photo I managed to take was shot of a few lonely hot dogs on the grill to show for our meal
. Oh well!

A positive thing about our short stay at the campsite was that teen had a good time hanging out with his friends, playing Mafia, some boy scout tricks and learning some jazz pieces on the guitar. Also,
at least I was able to visit with my dear friends Rhonda, Eva, Wes, Patricia and the girls.

Discouragement is my other reason for taking a break from blogging -- I felt I was not really making a difference in helping others go out of their comfort zone to try out new recipes, not touching people's lives as I was getting very few feedback from foodies, etc.

That all changed last night. Two things happened---1) I got an inspiring email from John D. who stumbled upon my blog --- 2) We went to dinner at Interurban with Kim N. and our friends. Kim said she was so glad I posted Debbie H.'s Carrot Zucchini Walnut Bread recipe. She brought the bread to friends who found it absolutely delicious! Kim was also wondering why I had not been posting lately.

So.. I'm back to blogging. ....
to all of you who have given me feedback one way or another from time to time, my sincere, heartfelt thanks for your friendship...sometimes a foodie needs a bit of encouragement too... it really doesn't take much to make my day so to anyone reading this, if you drop me a line once in a while when you can, I will be ecstatic to hear from you......

Here's the Vinaigrette Marinated Chicken recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse

1 lb skinless chicken breast, cut into half lengthwise
2 Tbsp lime juice
4 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
4 cloves freshly minced garlic
2 tsp sugar
4 Tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp chopped mint leaves

Place chicken and the rest of ingredients in a plastic resealable food storage bag. Shake to combine and place in fridge to marinade at least 3 hours (overnight is better). Allow chicken to come to room temperature for 20 minutes prior to cooking. Grill over charcoal for about 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!


Elephant-hearts-clipart.gif from Clipart from Clipartheaven.com.

3 comments:

Chef E said...

The hot dogs on the grill make me want a chili dog now...it takes time to get this blog thing going. I have only been doing it since last October, and have had negative trolls come at me right and left because I want to just be simply the teacher I really am, and not the up-scale gourmet perfect blog...so I just keep chugging away, and ignore all else...now I have a nice following, and follow nice blogs with beautiful personality like you!

Trish said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...and I enjoyed this particular post of yours. I certainly know what you mean about encouragement or discouragement. I actually have six blogs on the go...but they all have one goal in mind. Personal journalling. Sometimes I get discouraged but that is usually when I get caught up in 'others' and what they do...how many followers etc. But then I have to remember why it was I started this. To tell you the truth...I truly believe 60 percent or more do not even cook their posts...they just want attention. So...hey...lets just continue to be real. And forget the silly people that sometimes say mean things too....Take care..and come by anytime!

Momgateway said...

Chef E and Trish,

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement!