EASY AND HEALTHY RECIPES, TIPS FOR HEALTHY LIVING, FOOD REVIEWS, ETC

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Buffalo Wings








Part 2 of my Super Bowl Menu is Buffalo Wings. The first time I had Buffalo Wings was in Buffalo, New York. I had just returned from a visit to the U.S. side of Niagara Falls. With only a few hours left before I was to cross the Rainbow Bridge on my way to Toronto, Canada, the lady at the hotel concierge recommended a visit to the home of the Original Buffalo Wings. So, I headed to The Anchor Bar where Teressa Bellissimo served the first Buffalo Wings in 1964. You can read the story here. I opted for the original version of the famous wings and got hooked. Of course I bought bottles of "Hotter" Wing Sauce to bring home to hubby and son. The sauce was a hit with my hot & spicy food loving family. Here is the Anchor Bar recipe for their wings.

Our local stores don't carry the
Original Anchor Bar Wing Sauce so I use Texas Pete or Louisiana Hot sauce when I make the hot wings at home.

Here's the basic recipe I use but feel free to add more hot sauce if you wish:

5 lbs chicken wings (drummette and winglet)
oil for frying
1/2 cup butter
1 cup Texas Pete or Louisiana Hot sauce
1 small pack of celery sticks
your favorite Blue Cheese Dressing

Deep-fry chicken wings at 375 F for 10-12 minutes or until the wings are crispy. If you prefer, you could also spread the wings in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake at 450 F for about 35 minutes.

In a microwave-safe dish, stir together hot sauce and butter. Microwave till the butter melts and mix well.

Place cooked wings and butter-hot sauce mixture in a large covered bowl. Shake gently to evenly coat the wings. Serve immediately with a side of celery sticks and Blue Cheese Dressing.



1 comments:

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Buffalo wings, yes! They look great.