EASY AND HEALTHY RECIPES, TIPS FOR HEALTHY LIVING, FOOD REVIEWS, ETC

Monday, February 22, 2010

Teriyaki Beef with Brown Rice



One of the quickest dinners for me to prepare is Teriyaki beef or Teriyaki chicken.  The sauce is so simple, I don't bother buying bottled teriyaki sauce from the store.  The other advantage of making my own is I know exactly what's in it.  I've always used dark brown brown sugar but I found that using Xagave gives a lighter sauce that is just delicious!   

Xagave is premium agave nectar made from a unique blend of nectars from Blue Agave (Agave tequiliana) and White Agave (Agave salmiana).  It's supposed to be low on the glycemic index (with a score of 30 to 35 so it does not rapidly raise the levels of glucose in the blood ) and is about 1.4 times sweeter than sugar so you could use less of it!  Xagave is different from other brands of agave nectar.  The label says it contains calcium, iron and the soluble fiber inulin, known to be a prebiotic or a substance that stimulates growth and activity of good bacteria in the lower intestines and increases absorption of calcium.....sounds pretty healthy to me!  

Agave nectar is not a newly engineered sweetener unlike aspartame.  It has been used for thousands of years by native peoples of Mexico in beverages and as a condiment to food.  Stephen Richards of BetterBody Foods & Nutrition developed Xagave as a blend of nectar from several agave plants to come up with the best of taste, texture and health benefits that this wonderful plant has to offer.  Their cookbook has more than 150 recipes (ranging from breakfast, gourmet meals, sauces, ice cream and dessert to cocktails) with detailed nutritional data for each.  The company website has lots of amazing recipes....I've already tried their Beer Beef Marinade, Banana Bread and Chocolate Protein Oat Shake.  My son's favorite is the Triple Berry Yogurt Smoothie and I can't wait to try their version of Kansas Barbecue sauce.

Meantime, here is Xagave's recipe for Teriyaki with Brown Rice
4 Tsp canola oil
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 Tbsp minced ginger
2 lbs. chicken breast, beef, fish or tofu
4 cups vegetables (I used carrots and snap peas)
1/4 cup Xagave Teriyaki sauce
3 cups cooked brown rice
In a wok or saute pan, heat oil on high.  Add garlic, ginger and meat then saute till cooked.  Add vegetables and cook 3 to 5 minutes but not longer so the veggies remain firm, crisp and bright-colored.  Add 1/4 cup Teriyaki sauce.  Mix thoroughly and serve over cooked brown rice. Enjoy!

Teriyaki Sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp white unsweetened rice vinegar
1/3 cup Xagave
3 tsp minced garlic
3 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water

Combine the first six ingredients in a blender.  Pour into a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then bring it to a simmer.  Mix cornstarch and water, add to the sauce, stirring constantly to thicken (about 1 minute).  This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.  I use it for stir-fry and as marinade for grilled chicken and fish.

2 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Looks fabulous... sorry I haven't been around for awhile, I moved to the US Virgin Islands (I still giggle when I say that) for six months, and it is taking awhile to get settled. But i do think I am caught up, and will be back reading each of your new posts as usual...

Come take a look at my new blogs of Island life!

There are lots of agave items here, so i imagine I will be stealing this recipe

Fresh Local and Best said...

I like your idea of making teriyaki sauce out of Xagave. The dish and sauce looks rich and delicious!